Subject: Re: email as a bona fide git transport

From: "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 12:15:47 -0400

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 04:27:48PM +0200, Vegard Nossum wrote:
> commit ac30b08065cd55362a7244a3bbc8df3563cefaaa
> tree 8f09d9d6ed78f8617b2fe54fe9712990ba808546
> parent 108b97dc372828f0e72e56bbb40cae8e1e83ece6
> author Vegard Nossum <[email-masked]> 1570284959 +0200
> committer Vegard Nossum <[email-masked]> 1571408340 +0200
> gpgsig -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
	...

Would it perhaps be possible to put some or all of these headers after
the patch, as a set of "trailers"?  That would make it easier for
human readers of the e-mail to get the bits that they most care
about.... namely, the patch itself.  :-)

If we move the PGP signature to the end, then the fact that it is so
big and bulky becomes much less of an issue.  A mini-sig might still
be a cool thing, from a space savings perspective both in the mail
archives, and in the git repo itself, if we start signing all commits.
But that seems like a separable issue.

Thanks,

					- Ted