Subject: Re: [Outreachy] First contribution

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 11:35:19 -0700

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 12:39:16PM +0200, Miriam R. wrote:
> Dear Git developers,
> I’m an Outreachy applicant, I would like to make my contribution to
> apply to this Outreachy internship period.

Welcome, Miriam! Good to hear from you.

> 
> I have found this issue tagged as open and goodfirstissue:
> https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/issues/230
> 
> But there is a PR from 4 months ago:
> https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/271  and I don't know how to
> find out if a patch including that change already exists or if it
> makes sense to do it.

GitGitGadget exists to repackage PRs (which Git project doesn't use)
into emailed patches (which Git project does use) when the author writes
/submit on the PR comment chain. In that PR I see Johannes asking for a
/submit, but no submit; next I would check if a patch with the same
title came through in the mailing list by searching on the
public-inbox.org mirror:

https://public-inbox.org/git/?q=is_directory+dir_exists

Looks like, no, a patch with those hotwords wasn't mailed. Finally, I
would check the project to see if it's still an issue:

  $ cd my-git-dir/
  $ git grep is_directory

I still see 30 instances of is_directory in the codebase, so looks like
we haven't made this change. :)

> 
> In case this issue is not suitable for my first contribution,  I have
> also found this:
> https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/issues/379

This is also a fine change if you want to make it.

Good luck, and remember it's fine to ask the mentor for the project you
ultimately want to help on for help, code review in advance, etc.

 - Emily