Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] configure.ac: define ICONV_OMITS_BOM if necessary

From: Danh Doan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 08:40:06 +0700

On 2019-10-31 14:11:16 -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> The ICONV_OMITS_BOM flag is about the libc iconv that Git will be linked
> against. But this is checking the iconv tool. For a system that is using
> musl across the board, that would work. But it might not always be the
> case (in particular, I don't know if people statically link some
> binaries against musl; certainly I've seen people do it with dietlibc).
> 
> I think we should be test-compiling a small program, similar to the way
> OLD_ICONV works (though I guess we may even need to run the result to
> see what happens).

Originally, I wrote a C program for AC_RUN_IFELSE, but I found out the
complicated of OLD_ICONV and NEEDS_LIBICONV, then I switch to this
approach.

But, your reasoning makes sense. I think people could build a static-linked
git binary for a clean-room build system.

I'll pursue the C program in the re-roll.

-- 
Danh