Subject: Re: [PATCH] fetch: remove fetch_if_missing=0

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 10:58:45 -0800

Jonathan Tan wrote:

> I think it's less error-prone if we always have a "git" command on its
> own on a line, to avoid losing its error code. When piped into another
> invocation, or when command-substituted into an argument (e.g. "echo
> $(git hash-object foo)"), we lose its error code.

Sure, but assignment is a special case:

	if myvar=$(false)
	then
		echo yes
	else
		echo no
	fi

prints "no".

See "Don't use command substitution in a way that discards git's exit
code" in t/README for more details.

Thanks,
Jonathan