Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] Growing the Git community

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 01:06:50 -0500

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 06:31:00PM -0800, Emily Shaffer wrote:

> Christian's suggestion of a Google Group list was good enough for me.
> For now, the permission settings are as follows:
> 
>  - Group visibility: Anyone. (So it can be easier to discover and
>    advertise.)
>  - View topics: Group members only. (Maybe we want to open this up so
>    it's easier for non-member Git contributors to take a look at what's
>    going on.... but maybe if they're interested they can just join the
>    group :) )

I think it makes sense to stay closed for now. One of the reasons to
have a separate group is to make it less daunting to post to. Having a
public archive may work against that.

>  - Post: Group members only. (My thinking is that once you're asking for
>    someone's time and effort to help mentor you, you can volunteer the
>    time and effort needed to push the join button and optionally filter
>    your inbox ;) )

It also cuts down on spam (I moderate the git-security google group, and
the spam-blocking is far from perfect).

It is annoying if things get cross-posted to git@vger (whoever replies
with the cc intact will get an annoying "you can't post here" bounce).
But I'd try it this way for a while and see.

>  - Join group: Anyone. (Let's make the barrier to entry low.)

Makes sense. I just joined.

-Peff