Subject: Re: coccinelle: merge two rules from flex_alloc.cocci

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 17:35:27 +0100

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 09:15:47AM +0100, Markus Elfring wrote:
> > If you could have some before/after numbers, that would be cool.
> 
> Does any test infrastructure (or benchmarks) exist which you would trust for
> corresponding comparisons of software run time characteristics?

Yes, just run:

  make cocciclean
  time make contrib/coccinelle/flex_alloc.cocci.patch

before and after your changes, and include the timing results in the
commit message if there is a notable difference.  If it gets faster,
great!  If it gets slower, then update the commit message with a
convincing argument about why the change is worth the performance
penalty.

FWIW, I did just that with your "coccinelle: merge twelve rules from
object_id.cocci" patch [1], and the runtime went down from 2m48.610 to
2m34.395, a bit over 8% speedup. (with Ubuntu 16.04's Coccinelle
1.0.4)

[1] https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/