Subject: Re: [PATCH] grep: provide pathspecs/patterns via file or stdin

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 14:02:41 -0800

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 11:34:17AM +0900, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Denton Liu <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > The reason I ask is because (correct me if I'm wrong) a lot of other git
> > commands (like add, reset and checkout) don't seem to accept pathspecs
> > via stdin and could suffer the same problem. xargs seems like a more
> > general way of solving the problem of long command lines.
> 
> You contributors who are potentially throwing your own topics into
> the cauldron, please be paying a bit more attention to other topics
> already cooking in the pot.  I think am/pathspec-from-file wants to
> go in the general direction.

Thanks for pointing it out. It is certainly easy to miss the big picture
when you spend your time looking at a bug queue instead of a review
queue; we who stand in different places see different things more
clearly. I appreciate the reminder to look around a little more.

am/pathspec-from-file does solve this issue in the way that we discussed
internally, so I'm excited to base a solution for this issue on that
branch instead.

In this situation - where it is not a related fixup for a branch in
next, but the topic does rely on that branch - should I send a series
which is based on 'next'? How do I make the dependency clear to you via
emailed patch?

 - Emily