Subject: Re: Announcing [email-masked]

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 15:19:21 -0800

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 08:31:27PM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > The community expectations for the mailing list are the same as those
> > for the main Git list, but posts are only visible to members (anyone can
> > join) in order to create a more private space for beginner questions.
> 
> It would be better to promote anonymous or pseudonymous posts
> if beginners aren't comfortable...
> 
> > For now, posting is limited to members only (again, anyone can join) -
> > but if we find a high incidence of needing to forward messages to and
> > from the main list, we can change that permission as needed.
> 
> ...because anybody can expose the archives, anyways.  And right now,
> messages aren't visible to generic search engines, either; so fewer
> people can get helped...

Hm, this is a little circular, right? Part of the rationale for keeping
viewing limited was "that way it's not visible to generic search
engines". And now your rationale for opening it is "it's not visible to
generic search engines".

It sounds like based on
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
though, that we maybe do want to open posting to all, for the sake of CC
back and forth between the main list and the mentoring list.

With all that said.... we have yet to actually see a post on the list.
So I feel more inclined to wait and let the right ergonomics for that
list present themselves with time and use. :)

 - Emily