Subject: Re: [RFC] Hook management via 'git hooks' command

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 14:45:33 -0800

> This sounds like we both are pretty close on the same page, so I think I
> will get started in the coming weeks and see if we can get a mockup to
> pick at with the implementation details in front of us.

Hm. To elaborate (and partially as a reminder to myself) I will try to
get it done in the following order:

1. Implement 'git hook list <hookname>' which reads all the configs.
(User would need to manually add the configs at this stage)

2. (maybe) Implement 'git hook execute <hookname> <arg...>'. This may or
may not be useful; I suppose it would be pretty equivalent to:

 $ git hook list <hookname> | xargs -I% sh % <arg...>

3. Implement config modifiers like 'git hook add', 'git hook edit' etc.

My thinking is that we will have a lot of time with 1. in front of us to
nitpick how we want the config format to look, how the ordering should
go, etc. and it will be a fairly simple implementation. It'll also be
"usable" although not in a particularly friendly way in case someone
wants to try it and see, in a way that the config modifiers by
themselves wouldn't be.

 - Emily