Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] contrib: git-cpcover: copy cover letter

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2019 20:44:49 -0800

Hi,

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> My flow looks like this:
> 1. git format-patch -v<n> --cover-letter <params> -o <dir>
> 2. vi <dir>/v<n-1>-0000-cover-letter.patch <dir>/v<n>-0000-cover-letter.patch
>
> copy subject and blurb, avoiding patchset stats
>
> 3. add changelog update blurb as appropriate
>
> 4. git send-email <dir>/v<n>-*
>
> The following perl script automates step 2 above.

Neat.  I wonder, should "git format-patch" learn an option for this?
E.g.

	git format-patch -v<n> --cover-letter \
		--last-cover-letter=<dir>/v<n-1>-0000-cover-letter.patch \
		-o <dir>

What would your ideal interface for this flow look like?

[...]
> Any feedback on this? Interest in taking this into contrib/ for now?

I don't know what Junio's preferences are for new contrib/
contributions, but I kind of like it.  If putting it in contrib/, my
main advice would be to put it in a subdirectory there with a README.
That way, we have a good place to document what it was replaced by
once it has graduated to a standard format-patch feature.

Thanks and hope that helps,
Jonathan