Subject: Re: [PATCH] gitk: use --pretty=reference for copysummary

From: Paul Mackerras <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 08:58:26 +1100

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 01:39:50PM -0800, Denton Liu wrote:
> In an earlier commit[1], git learned the 'reference' pretty format.
> Update copysummary to use this pretty format instead of manually
> reimplementing it as a format string.
> 
> With this change, we lose the double-quotes surrounding the commit
> subject but it seems the consensus is that the unquoted form is used
> more often anyway[2] so this change should be acceptable.
> 
> Since gitk and git are usually packaged and distributed together, their
> versions should be in sync so we should not have to worry a newer gitk
> running on top of an older version of git that doesn't support the
> 'reference' pretty format.

In fact my policy is not to do this (introduce a change to gitk that
means it requires the very latest git).  I would want the code either
to test the git version (which the code already does in other places)
or handle failure gracefully and fall back to the old command.

Paul.