Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] grep: support the --pathspec-from-file option

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 16:33:40 -0800

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 09:13:09PM +0100, Alexandr Miloslavskiy wrote:
> On 13.12.2019 19:26, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> 
> > Hmph.  This has nothing to do with "--pathspec-from-file" that was
> > advertised on the title of the patch.  It used to be that
> > 
> > 	git grep -f one -f two
> > 
> > can be used to read patterns from two sources, but that is no
> > longer possible, is it?  Am I missing a larger benefit to accept
> > this regression?
> 
> Ouch, that comes completely unexpected to me. It's good when someone
> experienced watches over :)

Yeah, I'm surprised by it too - and surprised that there wasn't a test
to ensure this behavior.

I can put it back as a callback. I'm going to add a second patch to this
topic to enforce 'git grep -f one -f two' with a testcase.

As for missed benefits, they all have to do with ugly code vs. pretty
code. I don't think it's enough of a reason to lose functionality.

 - Emily