Subject: bogus config file vs. 'git config --edit'

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 12:04:31 +0100

Let's suppose I somehow ended up with a bogus config file:

  $ tail -n2 .git/config 
  [section]
          foo bar baz

and now I try to rectify the situation, but I know that poking around
in the .git directory is a no-no, so instead of 'vim .git/config' I
try:

  $ git config --edit
  fatal: bad config line 81 in file .git/config

Uh-oh.

Furthermore, if I don't remember quite clearly the finer points of the
syntax of the config file, then I might want to look it up:

  $ git help config
  fatal: bad config line 81 in file .git/config

I think bith 'git config --edit' and 'git help ...' should just work,
no matter what nonsense might be in the config file, even if they then
launch a different editor or pager than what are set in the
configuration.