Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 00/15] add git-bugreport tool

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 15:26:08 -0800

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 03:04:21PM -0800, Jonathan Tan wrote:
> > From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
> > 
> > This topic branch depends on the patch mailed in
> > lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked] in order to
> > display scopes for configs gathered during "bugreport: add config values from
> > safelist".
> > 
> > I'll summarize v4-v5. Since v4 has languished for some time, I don't
> > think an interdiff is too helpful, so I won't include one. Bonus, the
> > code is much simplified from some suggestions from Junio on how to
> > inspect objects, so I hope it's easy to review anyways.
> 
> To everyone in the developer community interested in this set: what is
> the status of this?
> 
> If this needs further review, then maybe it would be best if only
> patches 1-4 were put up for submission first, with a note in the
> bugreport documentation that more information may be added in future Git
> versions. For me, patches 1-4 look good and I don't have enough
> experience with uname (especially across libcs and OSes) to determine
> what should or should not be included - if this is typical of reviewers
> in the Git project, it might be better to submit patches 1-4 first, and
> then send each additional diagnostic separately, so that people who know
> what's going on in one area but not another can just comment on the area
> they know about.
> 
> Having said that, I see that a few people have already looked at the
> entire patchset and made comments, so if they are OK with it, we don't
> need to split it up.

I'd be fine with either; from now, my gut says the only ones I'm not
comfortable merging today are maybe 10, as Junio had some concerns about
whether to allow glob expansion, and 11, as it's prone to rot and I'm
doing other work in that area which would cause 11 to be
dropped/refactored anyways once it goes in. Otherwise I think they're
all pretty OK to go in and let the other work continue later in a
different thread.

Of course, as an author my opinion that they're good to go doesn't mean
much ;)

 - Emily