Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 13/15] bugreport: add packed object summary

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2020 19:15:24 -0800

On Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 11:00:41AM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> [email-masked] writes:
> 
> > From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
> >
> > Alongside the loose object counts, it can be useful to show the number
> > of packs and packed objects. This way we can check whether the repo has
> > an appropriate ratio of packed to loose objects to help determine
> > whether it's behaving correctly.
> 
> This lets the enumeration machinery to enumerate at the individual
> object level, relies on the enumeration machinery to show your
> callback all objects from the same pack before an object from a
> different pack, to count both objects and packs.
> 
> But given that packfiles record how many objects there are in the
> pack, and that the packfile.c layer must know what are the pack
> files we have available, I wonder if we have an API already to allow
> us to enumerate each packfile, and while counting the number of
> times our callback was called, add the objects contained in each of
> them.  If there isn't, it does not sound like a bad API function to
> add (i.e. given a repository r, iterate over r->objects->packed_git
> and let the API caller see each of them; the API caller can grab
> num_objects and add them up).

Yeah, I don't see one. I'll go ahead and add it - that sounds
straightforward enough.

 - Emily