Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 3/3] builtin/commit-graph.c: support '--input=none'

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 13:31:29 +0100

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 09:47:57PM -0800, Taylor Blau wrote:
> In the previous commit, we introduced '--split=<no-merge|merge-all>',
> and alluded to the fact that '--split=merge-all' would be useful for
> callers who wish to always trigger a merge of an incremental chain.
> 
> There is a problem with the above approach, which is that there is no
> way to specify to the commit-graph builtin that a caller only wants to
> include commits already in the graph.

I'd like clarification on a detail here.  Is it only about not adding
any new commits, or about keeping all existing commits as well?  IOW,
do you want to:

  - include only commits already existing in the commit-graph, without
    adding any new commits, but remove any commits that do not exist
    in the object database anymore.

or:

  - include _all_ commits already existing in the commit-graph, even
    those that don't exist anymore in the object database, without
    adding any new commits.