Subject: Re: [PATCH v8 05/15] bugreport: add uname info

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 15:20:44 -0800

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 12:12:58PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > +	/* system call for other version info */
> > +	strbuf_addstr(sys_info, "uname -a: ");
> 
> Is that "-a" portable across systems?  That is, when given "-a",
> would "uname" on all platforms show sysname, release, version and
> machine in that order and nothing else?
> 
> If we are merely saying "in this section, we are showing a selected
> subset from what we learned about the system with uname(2)", perhaps
> just stop at saying "uname: "?

Sure, that's good enough for me. I think actually 'uname -a' on a GNU
system isn't going to match what's output here anyways, since I don't
show the nodename and 'uname -a' would.

> 
> > +	if (uname(&uname_info))
> > +		strbuf_addf(sys_info, "uname() failed with code %d\n", errno);
> 
> i18n/l10n?  Don't we want to use strerror() here?

Much much earlier[1] in the series, you suggested not i18n/l10n the
contents of the bugreport, as this list would probably be ill-equipped
to process such a report. Since it's being added to sys_info, that means this line
is bound for the finished report, not for the user.

Speaking of locale, strerror() will print the error in the current
locale; if we're still assuming "the list only takes reports in English"
should I be explicit and use strerror_l()? Should I print strerror() in
current locale and include the errno, e.g. ("uname() failed with '%s'
(%d)\n", strerror(errno), errno)?

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]