Subject: Re: [Question] Is extensions.partialClone defunct?

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 10:51:51 -0700

Jonathan Tan wrote:
> Derrick Stolee wrote:

>> but it appears that we rely on the "remote.<name>.promisor = true"
>> setting instead of this extension.
>
> Hmm...besides giving the name of the promisor remote, the
> extensions.partialClone setting is there to prevent old versions of Git
> (that do not know this extension) from manipulating the repo.

Yes, so the lack of setting is a bug.

Christian, what would your prefered way be to fix this?  Should
extensions.partialclone specify a particular "default" promisor
remote, or should we use a new repository extension for multiple
promisors?

[...]
> I cloned and indeed it is as Stolee describes. Git still works as
> expected if I remove "promisor = true" and add
> "[extensions]\npartialclone=origin", so at least extensions.partialClone
> is still supported, even if not written by default.

Thanks for investigating.

Sincerely,
Jonathan