Subject: Re: Relative url values in .gitmodules confusingly sensitive to clone via ssh vs https.

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 01:18:09 +0000

On 2020-03-18 at 16:02:18, Benjamin Shropshire wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 5:26 PM brian m. carlson
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Looking at the code, it appears that we don't let you go above the top
> > of the URL, which makes sense.  So we interpret it as a file system
> > path.
> >
> > (And since this SSH format is not technically a URL, we don't have a
> > root slash, which is probably why this is a problem.)
> >
> > Does it work if you write the following?
> >
> >   git clone [email-masked]:/user/repo.git ./ssh
> 
> That seems to work... thought if the final resolution is telling
> people to just use a particular format for the repo address, I'd vote
> for telling them to use a full and proper ssh:// URL. (Technically I
> think `git@host:/...` may be a protocol relative URL? or maybe that
> would need to be `//git@host:/....`?)

I do intend to send a patch to make your particular use case work such
that we consider a colon equivalent to a leading slash, but I have a
little less time than usual (mostly due to current events).  I hope to
find some time this weekend, although of course anyone is welcome to
send a patch sooner if they get to it first.

I agree that the URL form is probably better overall, but I suspect I'm
in the minority there.
-- 
brian m. carlson: Houston, Texas, US
OpenPGP: https://keybase.io/bk2204