Subject: Feature request: rebase -i inside of rebase -i

From: George Spelvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 22:30:15 +0000

I'm cleaning up a patch series for submission, and came across a fixup in
patch #4/20 that belongs in #2/20.

Unfortunately, I can't go back two patches to apply the fix until I get to 
the end of the current rebase, then go back down to clean it up. :-(

Thinking about it, I realized that a rebase in a rebase is a perfectly 
well defined operation.  *If* you don't bother setting a new abort point 
(it's not a fully nested transaction), *and* require that the tree be 
clean (no stashing allowed; create a WIP commit instead), it's just a 
matter of putting some commits back on the front of the todo-list and 
checking out the old version.

This would make rebase work more like quilt.

I'm not sure how difficult this would be, but it might be worth looking
into.  (Possibly gated by an extra option like --nested.)

(A second thing that would be nice would be a documented way to break out 
of a reword and change the commit.  A few times I've been improving
the documentation of a patch and realized that I should change the 
function name.)