Subject: Re: When will this patch be merged?

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 23:31:58 -0700

Hi Vladimir,

Vladimir Nikishkin wrote:

> [Subject: Re: When will this patch be merged?]

Please keep in mind that these mails appear in people's crowded
inboxes, where a subject line can provide valuable context.

Which patch do you mean?

> When will this patch be merged? It is 2020, and git submodule is
> barely usable with my internet provider, since outbound connections
> are randomly shaped to 10k/s. At the moment I set up updating
> submodules for the night, hoping that it works. If this patch was
> accepted I would just see at which attempt the stream is not shaped
> and reissue the command if it is.

>From the In-Reply-To field, it looks like you're responding to [1]
("submodule: add verbose mode for add/update"), from 2014.  Have you
tested that patch?  Does it apply to current Git?  Has it been working
well for you?

For your application, it sounds like having a timeout (plus Git's
existing support for retries when fetching submodules) would help.  Am
I understanding correctly?

Thanks and hope that helps,
Jonathan

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/