Subject: Re: Fetching 24 Linux commits = 1.2 GiB

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 11:52:30 -0700

Hi,

>> On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 10:01:46AM +0200, Jiri Slaby wrote:

>>> I was at 8f3d9f354286 of:
>>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
>>>
>>> I did git remote update today and it fetched:
>>> Receiving objects: 100% (7330823/7330823), 1.20 GiB
>>> It updated master: 8f3d9f354286..8632e9b5645b, that is 24 small commits.

I suspect this is due to negotiation differing in protocol v2: in
protocols that do not maintain server side state, we have to record
previously matched "have"s at each round and the number of additional
"have"s sent on top leads the server to have insufficient information
about what the client has.  In other words, I suspect that with
https:// in protocol v0 you would experience the same thing.

Does

	git config --global fetch.negotiationStrategy skipping

help?

Thanks,
Jonathan