Subject: [PATCH v4 1/4] credential-store: document the file format a bit more

From: Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belón <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 03:52:51 -0700

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>

Reading a malformed credential URL line and silently ignoring it
does not mean that we promise to torelate and/or keep empty lines
and "# commented" lines forever.

Some people seem to take anything that is not explicitly forbidden
as allowed, but the world does not work that way.

Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/git-credential-store.txt | 4 ++++
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-credential-store.txt b/Documentation/git-credential-store.txt
index 693dd9d9d7..76b0798856 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-credential-store.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-credential-store.txt
@@ -94,6 +94,10 @@ stored on its own line as a URL like:
 https://user:[email-masked]
 ------------------------------
 
+No other kinds of lines (e.g. empty lines or comment lines) are
+allowed in the file, even though some may be silently ignored. Do
+not view or edit the file with editors.
+
 When Git needs authentication for a particular URL context,
 credential-store will consider that context a pattern to match against
 each entry in the credentials file.  If the protocol, hostname, and
-- 
2.26.2.569.g1d74ac4d14