Subject: git-gui patch staging errors

From: "J. Paul Reed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 18:07:50 -0700

Hey all,

I ran into an interesting problem this week where git gui was erroring out
on staging partial patches in a particular file I was working on.

I worked around it with "git add -i," which worked like a champ.

I later realized the source file has some special characters (Unicode,
probably) in it to print emojis (or colors or whatever fun animations the
kids want on their terminals these days).

Interestingly, lines/hunks before the first Unicode character will
partial-stage appropriately, but attempting to stage any hunks/lines after
the characters produces a "Failed to stage selected line. error: patch
failed ... error: ... patch does not apply" error dialog.

This can be reproduced by cloning
https://github.com/debek/aws-glacier-multipart-upload.git and editing
glacierupload.sh; the special characters are in echo statements on lines
60, 74, and 97.

Removing these control characters seems to calm git gui's indigestion on
this file.

[preed@underworld ~]$ git --version
git version 2.26.2
[preed@underworld ~]$ git gui --version
git-gui version 0.21.0.66.ga5728

best,
preed
-- 
J. Paul Reed
https://jpaulreed.com
PGP: 0xDF8708F8