Subject: Re: [PATCH] t0300: workaround bug in FreeBSD < 10 sh

From: Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belón <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 16:43:01 -0700

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 04:04:39PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > On 2020-05-14 at 21:05:18, Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belón wrote:
> >> 4c5971e18a (credential: treat "?" and "#" in URLs as end of host,
> >> 2020-04-14) introduces check_host_and_path to t0300 and some tests that
> >> use it, but fail in at least FreeBSD 9.3.
> >
> > From FreeBSD's website, it looks like the production releases are 11.3
> > and 12.1.  9.3 is EOL and has been since 2019.  Since FreeBSD is not
> > supporting this release with security updates, nobody should be using
> > it.  In light of that, do we need this patch?

Not urgently, and my rationale was that it might get reverted and dropped
in the near future, like we did for those workarounds for defunct versions
of dash.

Which is why it was clearly marked as a bug and the version it affected.

FWIW there are some people still building git in macOS 10.5 (the last with
powerpc support) that was EOL in 2011.

> Perfect comment given on the day I am cutting -rc0---the fewer
> patches I need to worry about, the better ;-).

I was considering it will be worth pu (in case someone might need to pull
it), but definitely not needed in master for this release.

Carlo