Subject: Re: [PATCH v5] diff: add config option relative

From: Đoàn Trần Công Danh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 07:30:06 +0700

On 2020-05-18 13:37:55-0700, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Đoàn Trần Công Danh  <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > We don't document --relative for git-format-patch, the --relative
> > documentation is placed under the guard, for that matter:
> 
> Yup, since it does not make much sense or "diff.relative" for that
> matter in the context of the "format-patch".  In the same sense, -R
> makes little sense, so sane people would not want to read about the
> option in the documentation, I would think.

Sane people wouldn't want to read that document when we don't have the
config for diff.relative

But, now, we have. Let's document --no-relative, specifically for
git-format-patch(1).

Perhaps something like this (maybe just fixing up to Laurent's)
-----------------8<--------------
From: =?UTF-8?q?=C4=90o=C3=A0n=20Tr=E1=BA=A7n=20C=C3=B4ng=20Danh?=
 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 07:24:48 +0700
Subject: [PATCH] Documentation: document --no-relative for format-patch
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

git-format-patch(1) accepts --relative for a long time, but the
generated patch couldn't be applied without accompanying information.

Hence, we've never document --relative for git-format-patch(1).

Now, we've introduced `diff.relative` config, let's tell Git's users
that they have an option to override it.

Signed-off-by: Đoàn Trần Công Danh <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/diff-options.txt | 5 +++++
 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+)

diff --git a/Documentation/diff-options.txt b/Documentation/diff-options.txt
index 167b451b89..0f5c108324 100644
--- a/Documentation/diff-options.txt
+++ b/Documentation/diff-options.txt
@@ -654,6 +654,11 @@ ifndef::git-format-patch[]
 	`--no-relative` can be used to countermand both `diff.relative` config
 	option and previous `--relative`.
 endif::git-format-patch[]
+ifdef::git-format-patch[]
+--no-relative::
+	Countermand `diff.relative` config. Show all changes in the repository
+	with pathname relative to top-level directory of the repository.
+endif::git-format-patch[]
 
 -a::
 --text::
-- 

Danh