Subject: [PATCH v2 0/4] propose config-based hooks

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 11:54:10 -0700

This series implements "Stage 1" of the config-based hooks rollout
process as proposed in the design doc. It does not touch the existing
hook implementation or change the way that Git functions - it only adds
a new, independent command.

In the design doc, I mentioned the possibility of including 'git hook
add' and 'git hook edit' in this stage. However, I'd like to get input
from our UX team internally before I get started - I know my own limits,
and coming up with good UX design is one of them ;) Unfortunately, I
won't be able to get time with them until the first week of June, so I
haven't included those commands here.

The series is listed as v2 because I included the updated design doc
with changes pointed out by Junio and brian. That's a good place to
start if you're reviewing the series for the first time. (I'm also
breaking thread with the contributor summit notes to bring the series to
the attention of more contributors who may be interested.)

One point I'd like discussion on especially is the '--porcelain'
command. The intent was to make it very easy for non-builtins to run
hooks; but I'm starting to wonder whether it makes more sense to include
a `git hook run <hookname>`, which makes parallelization possible in the
future if we decide to implement that. Even if we decide it makes sense
to keep 'list --porcelain', I'm not sure what information to include;
providing simply the line to pass to 'sh' seems a little thin.

The next stage from here is to migrate internal callers who use
'find_hook()' now to call the hook library (and teach the hook library
to call find_hook()), which will essentially turn on config-based hooks;
does it make sense to include that stage at the same time as this
series so we aren't checking in unused code?

Thanks all.
 - Emily

Emily Shaffer (4):
  doc: propose hooks managed by the config
  hook: scaffolding for git-hook subcommand
  hook: add list command
  hook: add --porcelain to list command

 .gitignore                                    |   1 +
 Documentation/Makefile                        |   1 +
 Documentation/git-hook.txt                    |  63 ++++
 .../technical/config-based-hooks.txt          | 320 ++++++++++++++++++
 Makefile                                      |   2 +
 builtin.h                                     |   1 +
 builtin/hook.c                                |  77 +++++
 git.c                                         |   1 +
 hook.c                                        |  90 +++++
 hook.h                                        |  15 +
 t/t1360-config-based-hooks.sh                 |  69 ++++
 11 files changed, 640 insertions(+)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/git-hook.txt
 create mode 100644 Documentation/technical/config-based-hooks.txt
 create mode 100644 builtin/hook.c
 create mode 100644 hook.c
 create mode 100644 hook.h
 create mode 100755 t/t1360-config-based-hooks.sh

-- 
2.27.0.rc0.183.gde8f92d652-goog