Subject: Re: [git-scm.com PATCH] community: advertise 'git-bugreport' tool

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 17:27:57 -0700

Emily Shaffer wrote:

> Starting with 2.27.0, 'git bugreport' can gather diagnostic info and
> drop the user into an editor with a template for a useful bugreport.
> Advertise this feature to users who want to report a bug in Git.
>
> Signed-off-by: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  app/views/community/index.html.erb       | 11 +++++++----

Modulo the link issue that Junio mentioned, LGTM.  I think the section
on the page you chose is a good place to mention the command.

> --- a/app/views/shared/ref/_debugging.html.erb
> +++ b/app/views/shared/ref/_debugging.html.erb
> @@ -2,5 +2,6 @@
>  <ul class='unstyled'>
>    <li><%= man('git-bisect') %></li>
>    <li><%= man('git-blame') %></li>
> +  <li><%= man('git-bugreport') %></li>
>    <li><%= man('git-grep') %></li>
>  </ul>

Where does this show up on the rendered page?  Is it
https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Appendix-C:-Git-Commands-Debugging?
Is there a way to preview how it renders?

That page appears to be about commands used to debug your own
codebase, so for everyone except us Git developers, it's the wrong
place to mention git bugreport. ;-)

Within the book, I think
https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Getting-Started-Getting-Help and the
corresponding
https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Appendix-C%3A-Git-Commands-Setup-and-Config
page might make sense.

Thanks,
Jonathan