Subject: Virtual Inclusion Summit (was: Re: Rename offensive terminology (master))

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 15:27:19 -0700

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 11:30:31PM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> Encouraged by Emily in #git-devel (who pointed out that a subject like
> this is much better discussed seeing each others faces and hearing each
> others voices), I would like to organize another Virtual Contributor
> Summit, this time focused on inclusive language in Git, what we can do
> about it, and what we should do about it (or not).
> 
> Tentatively, I would like to propose having this meeting in the coming
> week, via Zoom, just like we did the Virtual Contributor Summit last
> September.
> 
> Could I ask all interested parties to reply to this email?

The Google contingent is interested in attending.

One note I'd like to make is that the Git community already suffers from
a lack of diversity; it will be hard for us to make meaningful changes
if just those of us who already contribute attend, because many of us -
myself included! - come from privilege and don't have much or any
firsthand experience with microaggressions (or overt discrimination). I
think it's a good idea to expand the attendance of this summit beyond
the current contributor base and try to include more diverse voices and
experts in building inclusive products.

To that end, I'm going to see what kind of interested parties we can
find to invite within Google - and I hope others will do the same within
their own network. I think the risk of us coming up with meaningless
changes far outweighs the risk of us having too many people in the Zoom
call. :)

 - Emily