Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/9] submodule: use the (possibly overridden) default branch name

From: Denton Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 06:46:41 -0400

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 09:19:26PM +0000, Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget wrote:
> From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
> 
> To allow for overriding the default branch name, we have introduced a
> config setting. With this patch, the `git submodule` command learns
> about this, too.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>

One thing to consider: in the future, if we move away from "master"
or even allow the value to be configurable, we're gonna end up breaking
a lot of repositories this way.

If a developer regularly pulls in submodule updates via
`git submodule update --remote`, when the default branch name changes,
this will suddenly stop working. This will require developers who use
submodules to "fix" their .gitmodules file.

If it's configurable, this problem might be even worse. It could lead to
scenarios where one developer might go "works for me" while another
developer (who may set the configuration and forget about it) would be
confused about why it's not working for them.

Just a couple thoughts I had while looking at this patch.