Subject: Re: Consensus on a new default branch name

From: Oleg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 17:52:52 +0300

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:31:07AM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> stopping at configurability is the least risky thing there. But it's
> clear that a lot of projects are interested in changing their names, so

Jeff, where do you get your statistics? github, for example, have around
100 million repos. How many of them want to do it?

> > > My interpretation thus far is that 'main' is the planned replacement for
> > > 'master'. Consensus seems to have formed around this name [5], but if that's
> > > incorrect--or there are yet-unvoiced opinions that you would like to share--now
> > > is the time to discuss further.
> 
> My opinion is that "main" is the best suggestion I've heard.

I have a better suggestion, imho. Let's make "master" a default name. Thus:

1. we willn't break utilities and user hopes; this is a backward compatibility.
2. we will see how many projects really need this "feature".

I think backward compatibility is a reasonable and useful thing. And if this is
not a political-driven changes, i see no technical reason to not do so.

-- 
Олег Неманов (Oleg Nemanov)