Subject: Re: Consensus on a new default branch name

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2020 15:25:44 -0700

Michal Suchánek wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 08:06:17PM +0200, Michal Suchánek wrote:

>> https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
>
> So you completely ignore this input.

I've done enough research to know that even within the context
discussed in that message, this is not what comes to mind when the
word "main" is used.

That said, the approach so far in the Git changes discussed here has
been to focus on configurability.  We don't only have to care about
defaults: we also need to make sure Git is adaptable enough to work
well with branch names that fit the needs of particular Git-using
projects (whether that's because they use a different language than
English or because they have chosen branch names that reflect their
workflow, or for other reasons entirely).

Thanks and hope that helps,
Jonathan