Subject: Re: [PATCH] experimental: default to fetch.writeCommitGraph=false

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2020 22:47:25 -0700

Junio C Hamano wrote:

> We could obviously do both excluding it from the usual experimental
> set and applying your fix, so that those who are really curious can
> help us make sure your fix would be all that is needed.  Let's see
> what Jonathan says...

Yes, that would be my preference.

That is, both:

* applying the fix to provide a good experience to users interested in
  fetch.writeCommitGraph

* disabling fetch.writeCommitGraph in the experimental set, since it
  has not had much production exposure yet.  The experimental set is
  relatively young, so I want to ensure people's initial experiences
  with it are positive so that they stick with it if they're
  interested in experimental features (or in other words, I think
  there's still a place for features that are not yet proven enough
  to go in the experimental set).

Regardless of what is put in the experimental set, at $DAYJOB we will
run with the fix applied and with fetch.writeCommitGraph=true starting
next week.  I'd encourage anyone else with a similarly controlled
setup to try the same.

Thanks,
Jonathan