Subject: [PATCH] commit-graph: fix "Collecting commits from input" progress line

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 21:02:38 +0200

To display a progress line while reading commits from standard input
and looking them up, 5b6653e523 (builtin/commit-graph.c: dereference
tags in builtin, 2020-05-13) should have added a pair of
start_delayed_progress() and stop_progress() calls around the loop
reading stdin.  Alas, the stop_progress() call ended up at the wrong
place, after write_commit_graph(), which does all the commit-graph
computation and writing, and has several progress lines of its own.
Consequintly, that new

  Collecting commits from input: 1234

progress line is overwritten by the first progress line shown by
write_commit_graph(), and its final "done" line is shown last, after
everything is finished:

  $ { sleep 3 ; git rev-list -3 HEAD ; sleep 1 ; } | ~/src/git/git commit-graph write --stdin-commits
  Expanding reachable commits in commit graph: 873402, done.
  Writing out commit graph in 4 passes: 100% (3493608/3493608), done.
  Collecting commits from input: 3, done.

Furthermore, that stop_progress() call was added after the 'cleanup'
label, where that loop reading stdin jumps in case of an error.  In
case of invalid input this then results in the "done" line shown after
the error message:

  $ { sleep 3 ; git rev-list -3 HEAD ; echo junk ; } | ~/src/git/git commit-graph write --stdin-commits
  error: unexpected non-hex object ID: junk
  Collecting commits from input: 3, done.

Move that stop_progress() call to the right place.

While at it, drop the unnecessary 'if (progress)' condition protecting
the stop_progress() call, because that function is prepared to handle
a NULL progress struct.

Signed-off-by: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
---
 builtin/commit-graph.c | 4 +---
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/builtin/commit-graph.c b/builtin/commit-graph.c
index 75455da138..796954da60 100644
--- a/builtin/commit-graph.c
+++ b/builtin/commit-graph.c
@@ -251,7 +251,7 @@ static int graph_write(int argc, const char **argv)
 			}
 		}
 
-
+		stop_progress(&progress);
 	}
 
 	if (write_commit_graph(odb,
@@ -264,8 +264,6 @@ static int graph_write(int argc, const char **argv)
 cleanup:
 	string_list_clear(&pack_indexes, 0);
 	strbuf_release(&buf);
-	if (progress)
-		stop_progress(&progress);
 	return result;
 }
 
-- 
2.27.0.547.g4ba2d26563