Subject: Re: FETCH_HEAD files and mirrored repos

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 21:11:48 -0700

Johannes Sixt wrote:
> Am 12.07.20 um 22:52 schrieb Junio C Hamano:

>> We could teach "git fetch" a new "--write-fetch-head" option and
>> teach "git pull" to pass it when calling "git fetch".  It is very
>> plausible that some folks rely on "git fetch" to leave FETCH_HEAD
>> without being told, so the option must default to on for a few
>> development cycles before we flip the default to off,
>
> Nah, really??? It's one of the benefits of git-fetch that it writes
> FETCH_HEAD and the primary reason in many cases where I use the command!
> So, either I don't care that FETCH_HEAD is written, or I do use it. IMO,
> not wanting to write FETCH_HEAD is the odd case and would need a
> configuration tweak, not the other way round.

Speaking for myself as a user, I also rely on (the first line of)
FETCH_HEAD being written so that I can run commands like "git log
FETCH_HEAD".  What I don't rely on is the massive amounts of data that
may get written after that first line.

Thanks,
Jonathan