Subject: Re: Creation of a branch named that has a directory prefix equal to the name of another branch fail.

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 12:00:45 -0400

Hi Tommaso,

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 10:26:14AM +0000, Tommaso Ercole wrote:
> As per compiled bug report, creation of a branch that has a prefix that map to a folder, when that prefix is just an existing branch in the repo fails.
>
> I.E. 'a/b/c' when 'a/b' just exists.

This is a known limitation of loose references, since each reference is
stored in a file in $GITDIR/refs.

Reftable support within Git will lift this limitation. In the meantime,
if your references aren't updated you can store them as packed refs
which don't have this limitation, but note that they will be expanded
loose if you touch them again (i.e., this is a good solution for tags,
but not development branches).

Hope that this helps.

> Best regards,
> Tommaso Ercole
> Head Programmer
> Content Delivery

Thanks,
Taylor