Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 01/18] maintenance: create basic maintenance runner

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 16:52:11 -0700

Derrick Stolee wrote:
> On 7/29/2020 6:19 PM, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>> Perhaps this is suggesting that we need some central test helper for
>> parsing traces so we can do this reliably in one place.  What do you
>> think?
>
> I'm specifically using GIT_TRACE2_EVENT, which is intended for
> consumption by computer, not humans. Adding whitespace or otherwise
> changing the output format would be an unnecessary disruption that
> is more likely to have downstream effects with external tools.
>
> In some way, adding extra dependencies like this in our own test
> suite can help ensure the output format is more stable.

I've discussed this a bit more at [1]: I do think this is output that
we cannot promise to keep stable.  Can you say a little more about why
extracting a helper would be problematic?  For example, would doing
that in a separate patch at the end of the series be workable for you?

More generally, one theme I'm sensing in the responses to the code
review comments I sent is that the series may have gotten too long to
be able to easily amend the beginning of it.  To that end, I'm happy
to make a reroll or make this easier in any other way I can.  This
also suggests to me that it may make sense to split off an early part
of the series and get that into a shape you're comfortable with before
rebasing the rest of the series on top as a separate topic (a tried
and true method, used recently for the "git bugreport" command, for
example).

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jonathan

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/