Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 01/18] maintenance: create basic maintenance runner

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 07:42:08 -0700

Derrick Stolee wrote:

> What is seems like you are asking instead is for me to create a tool
> in the test suite that parses each JSON line, extracts a specific
> member from that JSON object, reconstructs a command-line invocation
> from the JSON array, and reports whether that process worked for any
> line in the event output.

No, that isn't what I'm asking.

I'm asking for this patch series to take the existing "grep" lines
and put them in a function in test-lib-functions.sh, so that we can
change them in one place when the trace emitter changes.

[...]
> If this is to truly be a hard requirement for these tests to move
> forward,

Yes, from my point of view it really is.

But that "is this truly a hard requirement?" comes up tells me I have
not done a good job of communicating in this review.  A review is
about participants in the project working together to improve a patch,
not people making demands at each other.

[...]
> If I'm to spend time engineering something more complicated just to
> check "did this subcommand run with these arguments?" then

I don't see why this is more complicated than what is in patch 1.  In
fact, I think it would be a little more simple.

Jonathan