Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/5] make git-bugreport a builtin

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 05:12:39 -0700

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 02:38:11AM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
> 
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 11:01:23AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> 
> > > ---
> > >  Makefile                            |  6 +-----
> > >  builtin.h                           |  1 +
> > >  bugreport.c => builtin/bugreport.c  | 10 +++-------
> > >  contrib/buildsystems/CMakeLists.txt |  5 +----
> > >  git.c                               |  1 +
> > >  5 files changed, 7 insertions(+), 16 deletions(-)
> > >  rename bugreport.c => builtin/bugreport.c (96%)
> > 
> > I am on the fence, as bugreport does not seem to be fully completed
> > part of the system.  The original thinking was that it may soon want
> > to grow by linking with platform specific libraries for lower-level
> > system characteristic identification, at which time we'd not want to
> > have it in builtins and "we can take advantage of builtin niceties"
> > will cause us regrets.  The only reason that hasn't happened as far
> > as I can see is because its development speed is rather slow.
> > 
> > So, I dunno.
> 
> Where do we want to go with this? After the discussion and sleeping on
> it, I'm still of the mind that we should generally default things to
> being builtins unless there's an immediate need not to do so (like
> extra link dependencies). But I don't care _too_ much, so I'd rather
> eject this patch and move forward with the rest of the series if it's a
> sticking point. Thoughts?

Just now catching up. I think it's a fine idea to turn it into a
builtin. As stated elsewhere, this means the version reported is more
reliable (and saves me work which I had on my list to query 'git
version' instead of listing the version when git-bugreport was built).
It's true that there is more work to do on bugreport, it's true that
that work is moving very slowly, as I had a number of things on my plate
even before the world turned upside down :) At the time, Junio seemed
inclined to take git-bugreport as a standalone, and I didn't care very
much one way or another, so it seemed like a fine way to get the series
out of review and into use. As I said then, turning it into a builtin
down the road isn't difficult - so I'm happy with the general direction.

 - Emily

> -Peff