Subject: Re: Git in Outreachy?

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2020 23:00:41 -0700

Hi,

Christian Couder wrote:

> I would appreciate help to find project ideas though. Are there still
> scripts that are worth converting to C (excluding git-bisect.sh and
> git-submodule.sh that are still worked on)? Are there worthy
> refactorings or improvements that we could propose as projects?

I think setting up something like snowpatch[*] to run CI on patches
that have hit the mailing list but not yet hit "seen" might be a good
project for an interested applicant (and I'd be interested in
co-mentoring if we find a taker).

Some other topics that could be interesting:
- better support for handling people's name changing
- making signing features such as signed push easier to use (for
  example by allowing signing with SSH keys to simplify PKI) and more
  useful (for example by standardizing a way to publish signed push
  logs in Git)
- protocol: sharing notes and branch descriptions
- formats: on-disk reverse idx
- obliterate
- cache server to take advantage of multiple promisors+packfile URIs

Jonathan

[*] https://github.com/ruscur/snowpatch