Subject: Re: Git in Outreachy?

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 18:39:15 -0700

Taylor Blau wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 02, 2020 at 11:00:41PM -0700, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>> I think setting up something like snowpatch[*] to run CI on patches
>> that have hit the mailing list but not yet hit "seen" might be a good
>> project for an interested applicant (and I'd be interested in
>> co-mentoring if we find a taker).
>
> To be honest, I'm not crazy about this one. We already have a system
> in place that works well (GitHub Actions) that allows people to run CI
> on their patches automatically at no cost.

I agree, that's good for people using GitGitGadget.  So if we're
focusing on individual contributors to Git, that may be enough (or
having the ability to run tests on their own machine may be even
better ;-)).

But a reviewer or maintainer cannot count on all contributors using
GitGitGadget.  Hence a bridge from patches sent on the mailing list to
git commits that a system like GitHub Actions can consume becomes
important.  Snowpatch is such a bridge.

In other words: this isn't about changing how tests are executed ---
it's about going from patches on list to git commits that can be
tested.

[...]
>> - formats: on-disk reverse idx
>
> As a heads up, I think that I am going to start working on (an
> alternative to) this myself,

Neat!  I look forward to seeing what you build.  (Is this related to
the bitmaps-using-midx-ordering work?)

Thanks,
Jonathan

>> [*] https://github.com/ruscur/snowpatch