Subject: Re: [PATCH] push: make `--force-with-lease[=<ref>]` safer

From: Srinidhi Kaushik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 16:36:38 +0530

Hi Johannes,

On 09/12/2020 00:16, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> > + static int oid_in_reflog_ent(struct object_id *ooid, struct object_id *noid,
> > +			     const char *ident, timestamp_t timestamp, int tz,
> > +			     const char *message, void *cb_data)
> > + {
> > +	struct object_id *remote_oid = cb_data;
> > +	struct commit *a = lookup_commit_reference(the_repository, noid);
> > +	struct commit *b = lookup_commit_reference(the_repository, remote_oid);
> > +	return oideq(noid, remote_oid) || in_merge_bases(b, a);
> > + }
> 
> Since `in_merge_bases()` is quite a bit more expensive than `oideq()`,
> personally, I would actually walk the reflog with the `oideq()` check
> first (stopping early in case a match was found), and only fall back to
> looking for a merge base in the reflog if the first reflog walk did not
> find a match.

Thanks for the suggestion; the updated the patch set (v3) - [1] does
something similar to that, along with some other changes. Can you please
take a look?

[1]: https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

Thanks.
-- 
Srinidhi Kaushik