Subject: [PATCH] Doc: note minimum scissors line length for mailinfo

From: Evan Gates <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 12:16:59 -0700

There is a comment in is_scissors_line describing the requirements for
a line to be considered a scissors line.  While the existing wording
covers most of the requirements, there was no mention of minimum size.

Signed-off-by: Evan Gates <[email-masked]>
---
This comes up after I tried to use --8<-- as scissors but git am didn't
recognize it because it's only 6 bytes.  I couldn't figure out why until
I cloned git and checked the source.

I am not subscribed to the list, please cc me in any replies.

 Documentation/git-mailinfo.txt | 10 +++++-----
 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-mailinfo.txt b/Documentation/git-mailinfo.txt
index 3bbc731f67..859829d32f 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-mailinfo.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-mailinfo.txt
@@ -74,11 +74,11 @@ conversion, even with this flag.
 --scissors::
 	Remove everything in body before a scissors line.  A line that
 	mainly consists of scissors (either ">8" or "8<") and perforation
-	(dash "-") marks is called a scissors line, and is used to request
-	the reader to cut the message at that line.  If such a line
-	appears in the body of the message before the patch, everything
-	before it (including the scissors line itself) is ignored when
-	this option is used.
+	(dash "-") marks and is at least 8 bytes long ("-- >8 --") is
+	called a scissors line, and is used to request the reader to cut
+	the message at that line.  If such a line appears in the body
+	of the message before the patch, everything before it (including
+	the scissors line itself) is ignored when this option is used.
 +
 This is useful if you want to begin your message in a discussion thread
 with comments and suggestions on the message you are responding to, and to
-- 
2.28.0