Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 09/10] builtin/diff-tree: learn --merge-base

From: Denton Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 18:52:56 -0700

Hi Junio,

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 02:02:11PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Denton Liu <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > And worst case scenario, if we receive user reports that they believe
> > the feature is inconsistent, it's 100x easier to change it to allow
> > ranges than attempting to remove support for ranges in the future.
> 
> If we allow ranges from day one, we do not even have to worry about
> it, no?

Yes, but I'm worried that being able to mix --merge-base with ranges
might cause more confusion for users since, in my opinion, it only
really makes sense for endpoints. That's why I restricted it in the
first place.

I think that since we're in disagreement, it makes more sense to take
the safer option where we can implement functionality later whereas if
we implement it and we want to remove it later, it'll be a much harder
time.

Thanks,
Denton