Subject: Re: [PATCH v8 0/3] push: add "--[no-]force-if-includes"

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 19:46:19 +0200

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 10:31:34AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Srinidhi Kaushik <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Add a new option: "--force-if-includes" to "git-push" where forced
> > updates are allowed only if the tip of the remote-tracking ref has
> > been integrated locally, by verifying if the tip of the remote-tracking
> > ref -- on which a local branch has based on -- is reachable from at
> > least one of the "reflog" entries of the branch about to be updated
> > by force on the remote.
> 
> https://travis-ci.org/github/git/git/jobs/730962458 is a build of
> 'seen' with this topic, and the same 'seen' without this topic is
> https://travis-ci.org/github/git/git/builds/730857608 that passes
> all the jobs.  It is curious why one particular job fails while
> others in the same build is OK.

That build runs the test suite with a bunch of GIT_TEST_* knobs
enabled, and the last two tests added in this series fail when run as:

  GIT_TEST_COMMIT_GRAPH=1 ./t5533-push-cas.sh

> The failure in t5533-push-cas.sh is sort-of understandable as the
> topic directly touches the area of the code the failing test
> exercises, but the failure in t3701 is totally unexpected.

That's not a failure, but the fix of a known breakage: we expect
failure from the scripted 'git add -i' in two tests, but the builtin
'git add -i' fixes those issues, and those two tests succeed with
GIT_TEST_ADD_I_USE_BUILTIN=1.