Subject: [PATCH v2] Doc: specify exact scissors line

From: Evan Gates <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 13:20:35 -0700

The existing wording covers most of the requirements of a scissors
line, but there is no mention of the minimum size requirement that led
to a six character line ("-->8--") not counting as a scissors line.
Specify the exact line to use ("-- >8 --") instead of trying to document
all the details.

Signed-off-by: Evan Gates <[email-masked]>
---
Changes in v2:
- Specify exact line instead of adding text about 8 character minimum

 Documentation/git-mailinfo.txt | 7 +++----
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-mailinfo.txt b/Documentation/git-mailinfo.txt
index 3bbc731f67..fbb7d2813f 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-mailinfo.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-mailinfo.txt
@@ -72,10 +72,9 @@ conversion, even with this flag.
 	is useful in order to associate commits with mailing list discussions.
 
 --scissors::
-	Remove everything in body before a scissors line.  A line that
-	mainly consists of scissors (either ">8" or "8<") and perforation
-	(dash "-") marks is called a scissors line, and is used to request
-	the reader to cut the message at that line.  If such a line
+	Remove everything in body before a scissors line ("-- >8 --").
+	The line represents scissors and perforation marks, and is used to
+	request the reader to cut the message at that line.  If that line
 	appears in the body of the message before the patch, everything
 	before it (including the scissors line itself) is ignored when
 	this option is used.
-- 
2.28.0