Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/7] t7415: rename to expand scope

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 01:34:41 -0700

Jeff King wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 05, 2020 at 12:50:20AM -0700, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
>> Jeff King wrote:

>>>  rename t/{t7415-submodule-names.sh => t7450-bad-meta-files.sh} (95%)
>>
>> I've never heard of a "meta file" before, but I don't tend to discover
>> test scripts based on their filename anyway. :)  Thanks for updating the
>> test_description.
>
> I couldn't think of a better name for "files that start with .git". I
> almost called it "dot-git", but then I worried about confusion with the
> actual ".git" directory.

t7450-dot-gitfoo-files.sh seems clear to me.

[...]
> In practice, I doubt it matters that much. We don't tend to run the test
> suite serially in order these days anyway, so the notion that finding a
> bug in an early test might save you CPU time or time spent reading error
> messages likely no longer applies.

I see --- the point here is that because it's using e.g. "git clone
--recurse-submodules", we want it to be later than the other clone
tests?

I think I'd like us to move away from having the numbers at all some
day (since collisions are very common), but there's probably not much
to discuss there until one of us comes up with a proposal that still
makes it easy to do things like "skip all git-svn tests". :)

Jonathan