Subject: Re: Introduction - An Outreachy 2020 Applicant

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2020 17:25:41 -0700

[email-masked]
Hi Amanda,

Amanda Shafack wrote:

> I am Amanda Shafack, an Outreachy 2020 applicant who wishes to
> contribute to the "Add Git protocol support to Wireshark" project.
>
> In addition, I have some experience coding in C and I hope to enhance
> my skill set by contributing to this project.
>
> I am currently going through the project description and contribution
> guidelines.

Welcome!

Since this project would involve Git (for Git protocol) and Wireshark
(where the dissector goes), we're comfortable working with you on
contributions to both Git and Wireshark during the application[1]
period.

https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/wikis/Development/ has some
pointers on getting started with Wireshark development.  I'm cc-ing
the wireshark developers list in case they have suggestions for an
approachable "first patch" idea to get used to that project's
contribution flow.

It's also a good idea to build and run wireshark and see if anything
strikes your eye as something you'd be interested in seeing work
differently.

For Git we have some suggestions for microprojects at
https://git.github.io/Outreachy-21-Microprojects/

Thanks for writing, and I look forward to working with you.  These are
two open source projects that I love and I hope you enjoy working with
them, too. :)

Sincerely,
Jonathan

[1] https://www.outreachy.org/apply/