Subject: Re: [PATCH] clean up extern decl of functions

From: Denton Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2020 18:55:05 -0700

Hi Junio,

On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 08:27:55AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Among external function declarations, somehow only these two
> functions that return pointer-to-function were declared with
> "extern" in front.
> 
> Ideally, we should standardise to _have_ explicit "extern" in front
> for all function (and data) decls, but let's make things uniform
> first.  Bulk re-addition of extern can be done without any extra
> difficulty with or without this change.

Why are we re-introducing an explicit "extern"? Since function decls are
extern by default, what do we gain by doing this?

You mentioned in the past[0]

	I think there is a push to drop the "extern " from decls of
	functions in *.h header files.

so are we reversing that push now?

> Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>

The code part looks good to me. Good catch.

Thanks,
Denton

[0]: https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/