Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 05/13] reftable: utility functions

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 08:19:19 -0700

Hi,

Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> The `merge_bases_many()` function has only 33 lines of code, partially
> duplicating `get_reachable_subset()`. Yet, it had a bug in it for two
> years that was not found.
>
> How much worse will the situation be with your 431 lines of code.
>
> Even more so when you consider the fact that you intend to shove the same
> duplication down libgit2's throat. It's "triplicating" code.

Careful: you seem to be making a bunch of assumptions here (for
example, around Han-Wen having some intent around shoving things down
libgit2's throat), and you seem to be focusing on the person instead
of the contribution.

Would you mind restating your point in a way that is a little easier
to process, for example by focusing on the effect that this patch
would have on you as a Git developer?

Thanks,
Jonathan

> So I find the argument you made above quite unconvincing.